I have created a scientific application in Python that I typically use
interactively and I have modified it so that it can be used on the web.  It
imports various modules such as numpy, scipy and matplotlib.

I have it running on Webfaction with web.py with an apache2 wsgi web server.
Things work fine except that they say I am running over my memory quota of 120
mb.

the way that i work is to save the current data set to a pickle file, delete
the data sets and then unpickle them in the class that is called next.

I have used heapy to monitor my memory usage and find that my biggest objects
are a string followed by a tuple and I don't really understand how that is
happening.  I do see some numpy stuff but it is all much smaller.  All of my
attempts (mostly using the 'del' statement) limit memory usage don't seem to
work.

So my first question is, is this sort of memory usage to be expected and I
should just up my memory quota on Webfaction?

I can see that the Apache server uses a certain amount of memory just standing
still.  Perhaps lighttpd might help?

Any suggesting for how I might reduce my memory requirements?  The
documentation on heapy is not very helpful.

thanks,

Ken Dere