Is there some way to do named URL parameters similar to the way Django
handles them?  I tried (perhaps I did something wrong) but they didn't
seem to work...

Ie: In Django, you can write something like this:

url( r'^api/(?P<api_version>\d+)/account/(?P<account_id>\d+)/user/(?
P<user_id>\d+)', API_User_Handler_Resource ),

Which would then call API_User_Handler_Resource( api_version,
account_id, user_id ) and pass in the appropriate variables (if they
were present) or None (if they weren't)...

This has become ridiculously handy for us in writing API's...

Thanks in advance!