On 2011-08-22 11:56 +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Quoting "Branko Vukelić" <bg.bra...@gmail.com>:
> >On 2011-08-21 23:54 +0200, Dragan Espenschied wrote:
> >> On Ubuntu, web.py is available as a package:
> >>
> >> $ sudo apt-get install python-webpy
> >
> >IIRC, those are not always up-to-date?
>
> Both Debian and Ubuntu have 0.34 at the moment, while 0.36
> is the current version. 0.34 is not too bad, IMHO, and I'm
> using it "in production".

To each their own, I guess.

While I develop, I update to the latest version to take advantage of any
new cool stuff (e.g., secure sessions in 0.36), or various fixes[1], and
you can even use the master version, which is not even released yet.

When it's time to release, I just stop updating the framework, and
that's like freezing dependencies. It's much more convenient than using
apt for that.

If you insist on a package manager, you can use easy_install or pip,
which will always have access to a much wider range of Python libraries
than apt-get, and will always have access to latest-and-greatest code
(not counting development versions, of course). These will install
packages system-wide, just like apt, but advantages are obvious.

[1] https://github.com/webpy/webpy/commits/master

--
Branko Vukelic
bra...@herdhound.com

Lead Developer
Herd Hound (tm) - Travel that doesn't bite
www.herdhound.com

Love coffee? You might love Loveffee, too.
loveffee.appspot.com