Hi.

I have programmed a web app for serving some files. Some of these
files contain international characters. Here's the weird thing:
Everything seems to work okay when I'm developing. However when I try
it on lighttpd using fcgi I get the following exception:

    item_path = os.path.join(dirpath, item)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/posixpath.py", line 71, in join
    path += '/' + b
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position
8: ordinal not in range(128)

Where the variable item stems from os.listdir.

I can get it to work in lighttpd by cleverly using
item.decode('utf-8') every time I get it from os.listdir and
item.encode('utf-8') every time I need to call os.path.getsize or
os.path.isdir (basically any method which uses os.stat). But then I
get an exception in the standalone server.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?