What I usually do is verify everything client-side with javascript to do
all the fancy red letters and shaking or what have you, then make sure
every piece of data is what I think it is, server-side, and return a
generic error if it's not. That way clients get a full UI experience, and
evil hackers get to spend more time figuring out how to attack my
application :-P.

Probably not the best way to do it, but it works for me!

Fitblip