Not to pot too fine a point on it, but your question is too generic to be
answered.  Web.py is a framework, and providing web services is very simple
and probably one of the top uses.

Any web server that answers a request and returns data could be argued to
be a web service.  Any program that does something with that response is a
consumer of that service.  It's far too broad of a topic to answer they way
you've asked it.  Every time I hit google, I'm optically scanning the
results of a web service and consuming it with my cranial computer. :-)

Look here at the tutorial - you'll have a 'hello world' web service up and
running in minutes with web.py.

http://webpy.org/docs/0.3/tutorial

Now, if you wanna 'consume' that service, go ahead and do it with whatever
technology you want.  From the command line using curl, from python using
urllib, or from a web browser using ajax.  The options are limitless.