I've finally resolved this issue.

The difference between the working and non-working web.py app was CRLF
terminators in the non-working app files, it looks as Filezilla put the
additional line breaks in when transfering in ASCII mode.

Apparently it is only the python-file called by fastcgi where this is an
issue, additional files imported by webpy can have the CRLFs and not cause
an error.

//Adam