> - in which way is it more certain that there is no mislabeled PDF than a
> mislabeled jpg or mislabeled rtf?

I don't think this is relevant. There is likely mislabeled PDF. But I had
specific feedback from implementors of PDF readers that sniffing from other
content-type resulted in a worse situation than not sniffing. I don't have any
information on jpg or rtf.

Sniffing should only be done when it is justified by an improved user
experience over not sniffing.

I think the obligation of evidence is "opt in": we should only sniff content
when there is evidence of mislabeled content for which sniffing actually
improves something, and the improvement outweighs other considerations.

> - what about scenarios in which there is no content-type (e.g. ftp,
> filesystem), should in this case sniffing not be done?

I didn't get any feedback on that. I don't know any workflows where valid PDF
doesn't carry a file type label somehow (if only the file extension .pdf), so
maybe sniffing based on file content itself doesn't matter.

((Maybe this is another issue? I just wonder if the algorithm for "no
content-type" is the same, needs to be the same, as the algorithm for
"content-type via HTTP".)

Larry