Hello Anne, Tobias, others,

On 2011/10/24 18:22, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:13:45 +0900, Tobias Gondrom
<tobias.gond...@gondrom.org> wrote:

So my - maybe naive - question would be, do implementations sniff for
fonts and why did they not ask for a content-type?

Adding support for fonts to browsers went much quicker than getting
font/* from the IETF (I and some others tried doing that, maybe not in
the right way though), and once browsers shipped with font support I
stopped caring, because we would have to sniff forever anyway.

Yes, at some point in the mid-to-late 1990s (as far as I remember, but there is also http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-singer-font-mime-00, so maybe this was in 2004, or there were several attempts), there was an attempt to create a top-level font/ type.

At the time, this met with quite strong resistance from some Mime type experts who didn't want a proliferation of top level types. The question of what's the right top level type (font/ or application/) since then has discouraged registration (in addition to what Anne mentioned).

But who is at fault is not what we are interested in here I think. We
are interested in defining when implementations have to sniff. They very
much have to sniff for fonts.

Yes. If somebody has enough energy, it would still make sense to register font types.

Regards,   Martin.