Thanks for your thoughts,

> I don't think it matters much what we write in this document.

I overall understand and tend to agree, because I'm doubting we will see much if any further extension work for this header field.

>  However,
> we can deal with that problem when it comes time to add extension
> values that actually used quoted-string.

agreed. that's why I'm leaning towards spec'g it with quoted-string at this time. It future-proofs the spec at least and we won't have to fight a nit like this in Last Calls.

I'm not too worried at this point about user agents not actually implementing parsing for as-yet-unspecified-or-even-discussed extension directives for the STS header field.

though, I remain curious as to why the STS parsing in Firefox & Chrome is apparently each a one-off and doesn't use the more generic HTTP header-field parsing routines that are available and which appear to handle quoted-string, arbitrary header field parameter ordering, etc.

thanks,

=JeffH