On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Yoav Nir <y...@checkpoint.com> wrote:

> But you bind the transmitted MAC to the TLS session by getting cookie_key
> extracted from the session. So what you transmit is not a bearer token, as it
> can't be used in another session. The cookie_binding protects you against
> someone stealing the cookie during set-cookie, but that's a one-time thing,
> although it could be worth it.

I think you're reversing "cookie_key" and "cookie_binding"?

It's true that the cookie_key could have been sent explicitly by the
server, instead of "extracting" it from the master secret.  But then
we'd be transmitting auth secrets, which we're trying to avoid.

> If Channel ID becomes part of TLS 1.3, proxies would have to be updated. No
> question there. But once it is, then the new handshake records can just be
> passed along by the proxy.
>
> What the proxy can't do, is to make it so that the master secret on both
> halves of the connection are the same. The proxy performs a handshake with
> the client and with the server, and then decrypts and re-encrypts everything.
> So there is no way that the client and server can calculate the same values
> for cookie_binding and for cookie_key.

The "cookie_key" and "cookie_binding" values for a TLS connection can
also be passed from a TLS-terminating proxy to back-end servers.

Trevor