On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 09:34 +0100, Alexander Werner wrote:
> Hi Drew, Christian, *,
>

> Am 25.11.2011 um 14:15 schrieb drew:
> > My question was - do you know of one? Again I thought I was clear, that
> > you seemed to say that you did not.
>
> A multi-language q&a site that seems to work quite well can be found at
> shapado.com.

Thanks - Knew that one, but don't see it as multi-lingual, all parts
(UI, Tags, Q + A) are in a single language, based on url.[1]
What am I missing, or perhaps change of browser language preference is
not enough to show what you mean?

> My current plan is to use language tags and automatic tag filters based on
> the set/determined locale of the user for askbot.

OK - well maybe we have been talking past each other - two roads to the
same desired result. The same split, just using tags vs table prefix.
OK.

This might have a few advantages even, and then of course allow the
multilingual user to switch language from the UI.

> > laughing - and I couldn't do without it...but it won't help if there is
> > multiple languages on the same page.
> >

> I personally think there shouldn't be multiple languages on the same page. If
> someone thinks a question is noteworthy enough to translate it, he's able to
> add another question and answer it himself.
>

> >> You wrote that you probably wouldn't use the mixing bowl and throw in
> >> all languages into the same system - so what is your
> >> counter-proposal/what to do instead?
> >
> > I suppose I'd do the opposite.
>
> This is a quite horrible idea actually…. Think of 105 installations of
> askbot, 105 databases, 105 vhosts etc. For askbot it should be quite
> manageable, as only the settings file must be adapted and this can be
> scripted to share a single installation between multiple settings. But the
> other maintenance overhead is… huge.

HUH - no one in there right mind would make 105 vhosts, nor 105
databases; 1 vhost, 1 database, multiple tables and separate
configurations, you know that. Straw man arguments waste everyone's
time.

Best wishes,

//drew

[1] Changed my browser preference from En to De - shapado.com  is still
English, olaverde.shapado.com/ is still Spanish.