Amit Gupta wrote:
> On 11/06/09 15:13, Darren J Moffat wrote:
>> Is collectd really that huge and important that it deserves its own
>> place under /usr ?  Do Linux distros do this (I doubt it because the
>> FHS and LSB both very much frown on the new dirs in /usr).
>>
>> Can this be:
>>
>>     /usr/lib/collectd4 instead ?
>>

> BTW, I don't seem to find any component under /usr/lib which allows
> multiple version to co-exist. Since multiple versions of collectd can
> co-exist, is that a good reason for it to go under /usr?

Just because there could be multiple versions doesn't mean there should be.

Usually the need to deliver multiple versions of a feature is because of
incompatible change that impacts the things layered on top of them.
This makes sense for PHP, Apache, Python, Perl because they are
environments that have runtime impact and there are massive amounts of
software layered above them.

I don't see collectd really fitting into that same model so I don't
think it is necessary to support multiple versions of it installed at
the same time given what it is used for.

How doe BSD or Linux distributions install it ?  I doubt you will find
many Linux distros installing it directly under /usr.

--
Darren J Moffat