Ian,
 One difference I found in the new algorithm vs old algorithm was when
passed a directory without a trailing '/' the old algorithm returns the
directory relying on dispatchRequest() to send a redirect.  The new
algorithm treats it as a directory and finds the directory index.

 The rational the old algorithm gives, is that without the trailing '/'
relative url's would be messed up.

 Also, if I understand the rational for the ExtraPathInfo setting, it seems
that with ExtraPathInfo and a directory index at the root of the context, or
a directory index at the root of the default context, you generally won't
get a 404 error.  We walk up the URL looking for a servlet to handle the
request, and stop there.

 I think the ExtraPathInfo setting should be a servlet by servlet basis.
The servlet can choose to handle ExtraPathInfo information.  If it does not
handle it, then a 404 error would result.  If it does handle it, then things
proceed as normal.

 This could be implemented by simplifying the serverSideInfoForRequest*()
operation to always parse out the ExtraPathInfo.  Then either
createServletInTransaction() or possible handleGoodURL() would ask the
servlet if it supported ExtraPathInfo, and if it did not, call the
handleBadURL.

Stuart Donaldson
Alerton Technologies Inc.