Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 02:05:57PM -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>>
>> Seems to be 1.3.0.  Debian has a mxdatetime package, not a general mx
>> package.

My comment is probably more relevant to the ongoing discussions on
comp.lang.python, but this kind of thing is what really annoys me about package
systems - packages are only as good as the package creator made them and, in my
experience of "contributed packages", that isn't usually very good at all.
However, where projects take the responsibility to support packages themselves,
they can be quite acceptable.

>> All it should take is a
>>
>> try:
>>     from mx import DateTime
>> except ImportError:
>>     import DateTime
>>
>> I think the DateTime name is only used by mx.

There was a long discussion about Zope having a different package with an
identical name, but that's not likely to bother anyone reading this list, is
it? ;-)

>The "mx" utilities were repackaged this year or last year.  They used to be
>mxDateTime etc. as separate packages.  Now they are all in one bug bundle,
                                                                ^^^
I personally find them quite reliable. :-) (Sorry!)

>as subpackages of mx, maintained by eGenix.com.  On my system, with a
>home-installed Python and mx, only "from mx import DateTime" works.

Yes, this is the way to invoke them now, although I'm not sure about mxODBC,
which is part of the commercial package, as I haven't used it extensively since
version 2 came out.

Paul

--
Get your firstname@lastname email for FREE at http://Nameplanet.com/?su