Pretty much all the Webware and 3rd party plug-ins invoke the Python
interpreter by calling "#!/usr/bin/env python" in their scripts. The
trouble with this is that this call brings up Python 1.5.2 in Debian.

The only ways I can think of to get Python 2 invoked instead is to use the
Debian alternatives system, or else search through all Webware + plug-in
code to change "#!/usr/bin/env python" --> "#!/usr/bin/env python2".

Neither option seems good. Messing with the Webware code means that I can't
keep current easily. Using the alternatives system to point /usr/bin/python
at python2 will break some Debian packages that depend on 1.5.2, and which
rely on /usr/bin/python to point to Python 1.5.2.

Indeed, there is quite a raging debate going on now amongst Debian
developers about about how to deal with this kind of problem (and others):
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=d8b5f0e26b68ff35&seekm=87itdf28b3.fsf%40marant.org#link1

So, if you use Debian, Webware and Python2, how did you manage to keep the
balls in the air at once?

...Edmund.