Hi,

I'm pondering about the possibility to tweak WebKit to use HTTP status codes to report errors. Currently, it returns error pages, just like normal ones, with 200 OK.

IMO this is not a great idea. For one, this hinders work of log analyzers (Apache), as you have to dig through WebKit logs to find out how many errors actually were in requests, handled by WebKit itself. Secondly, it complicates automatic testing as I have to parse html content returned to check if there were an error instead of simply checking for status codes.

Therefore I'd prefer to have the html error page served with, say, "501 WebKit application error" or something like that.

Hence my questions:

1. What do you people think about this idea?
2. How could I configure/patch WebKit to get the desired behaviour?