Hi,

at least a topic I have something to contribute to ;)
In November I gave a talk on XUL based web applications at the PHP Conference in Frankfurt, Germany. Main focus was on SOAP interaction of XUL based clients with a web server.

For a more complex web app, I'm considering options for remote scripting
without page reload.
I know there is XMLRPCServlet. Has anyone been using that with a
JavaScript client?  If so, what was your experience?

When you restrict client platforms to the gecko based family (Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, Camino) you can very happily stick with Mozilla's jslib library, which includes rather basic XML-RPC and full featured SOAP support.
When you're considering XUL as a client interface language you're most naturally a priory fixed to the gecko platform since no other platform supports XUL ;)

On the server side there are several choices for Python:

The main site of interest is http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/
This one contains as one subproject SOAPpy, one of the first SOAP implementations for Python and ZSI (Zolera SOAP Infrastructure), another Python SOAP implementation.

On http://www.xmethods.org/ you'll find a long list of SOAP implementations for different programming languages (incl. Python)

Tutorials for ZSI:
- The Python Web services developer: Python SOAP libraries, Part 1:
  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-pyth5/
- The Python Web services developer: Python SOAP libraries, Part 2:
  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-pyth6/

I am using XMLRPCServlet with a JavaScript client, specifically, the jsolait libraries <http://jsolait.net/> from Mozilla. My app is mostly a Mozilla XUL app so I am using Webware mostly as an xmlrpc application server. It works.

That's quite interesting. I just browsed the documentation and didn't find information about browser compatibility. Is it cross browser capable (at least some more platforms than jslib)?

Best regards,
Volker Göbbels
--
Dr. Volker Göbbels                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Arachnion GmbH & Co. KG                    http://www.arachnion.de