Ian Bicking wrote:

More mechanically. You can build things on top of Webware reasonably easily. It's not always the most elegent way -- e.g., using a single servlet that dispatches to other objects. But I think that's okay, I think Webware is reasonably simple to layer things on top of.

There's a problem though -- if you do that, that's fine for you. But it's quickly become hard to share code at that point, because all of your code will be built on metaphors that are specific to you. It's like you've made your own framework. Which is fine, and it's a lot easier than starting from scratch, but your application is not "Webware" in my mind.

The really crappy part is that this sub-framework will appeal to only a portion of the Webware audience, which is a small portion of the Python audience. You're splitting your audience into every smaller chunks.

This describes my experience with Webware/WebKit *precisely*.

Thanks for freeing me from trying to express the same things in the same clear manner. ;-)

IMO, I think webware could be left in a maintaince mode without any major undertaking:
1. it fulfills premises OK for the existing user base
2. it is 'complete' in a sense
3. it would be plain hard to re-architecture / rework it, esp. considering the fact you have to remain backward-compatible
4. There is not many folks eager to *do* this (in contrast with folks *eager* to do this, myself included).
5. It's just not that great as a solid foundation for major changes.

Instead, I'd like to see WSGI maturing. To me, ROI from this project would be much higher. The WSGI is small but a functional, working system. If Ian (and others devs) avoid a second-system effect, over-engineering it, which I'm pretty sure about, it seems really promising.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek. It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt _______________________________________________ Webware-discuss mailing list Webware-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/webware-discuss