[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I guess the real question that I have is why the move?

Well, two reasons I suppose.  One is that I've been reading
a lot lately about how silicon has effectively hit the wall
in terms of CPU heat dissipation: manufacturers such as AMD,
Intel, and IBM are turning to mutlicore processors to acieve
further increases in performance.  My web site is rather
floating-point intensive, so this is an area of interest to
me.  I'm particularly interested in the Cell processor.  If
I stick with Webware, multiple CPU or multicore CPU servers
will not yield performance improvements for my site due to
Python's Global Interpreter Lock with Webware, where the
GIL is not a consideration using Skunkweb on such servers.

FWIW, WSGIKit should run under multiprocess servers, like mod_python, and maybe SkunkWeb will be a WSGI server soon (Jacob Smullyan is planning on coming to the PyCon WSGIKit sprint -- heck, maybe SkunkWeb already is a WSGI server, I haven't checked). You'd still have to make changes to your application if it's using any threaded assumptions (like storing global state in global variable).

--
Ian Bicking  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /  http://blog.ianbicking.org

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click _______________________________________________ Webware-discuss mailing list Webware-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/webware-discuss