FWIW, I believe referring the patient to a website where a downloadable copy of the Notice is available does meet the regulations.

I hope this is not off base, and I welcome others’ thoughts, but I think we could make a convincing case that a request for a prescription refill is more akin to a procedure than treatment. From a pharmacy standpoint, I would consider delivering the medication to the patient as treatment (when the consultation occurs) so the Notice would be provided when the patient actually arrives to pick up the prescription. >From a physician standpoint, I could also justify saying refilling a prescription is not treatment, since treatment occurred when the diagnosis was made and the decision to treat with medication occurred. Couldn’t authorizing the refill be deemed a procedure in this case?

My approach is coming from the OCR Guidance Q&A:

“Where a health care provider’s initial contact with the patient is simply to schedule an appointment or a procedure, the notice provision and acknowledgment requirements may be satisfied at the time the individual arrives at the provider’s facility for his or her appointment.”

Has anyone heard this question addressed at any of the four HIPAA conferences?

Regards,

Sherry L. Neuman, PharmD

Compliance Solutions for Healthcare

Phone/Fax: 209-744-0447