Based on an informal poll it appears most psych professionals do not create or maintain the sorts of notes that are defined by HIPAA as “psychotherapy notes”.

The HIPAA exception evidently arose out of requests for special protection by those few professionals who do create such notes.  Not all “schools” of psychiatry and psychology promote the concept but those who are of that discipline consider such notes their own property for their sole use and – obviously – not part of the patient record.  One doc I spoke with describes his “psychotherapy notes” as his ‘little black book’.  In it he jots down his informal impressions during patient sessions, usually using a sort of personal shorthand and not identifying patients by name.  His chronological series of ‘little black books’, which contain notes on virtually all patients, is locked in his desk drawer.

Personally, I think it makes sense for a doctor or psychotherapist to have such notes simply as a means to retain the gist of conversations and create a reference source for the thoughts that come to mind during a session that are not appropriate for inclusion in the actual record.  It likely assists them to maintain a higher level of familiarity and, therefore, a better relationship with each patient.

I just wish the authors of HIPAA had used a term to identify such notes that would create less confusion.  As an example of the degree of misunderstanding, about a year ago I asked a HIPAA beginner/intermediate level seminar audience from facilities with psych units whether their clinicians created psychotherapy notes.  All raised their hands.  After a detailed explanation of the true HIPAA definition of psychotherapy notes I asked the question again.  No one raised their hands.  It is possible, though, that some were just unaware of the existence of such notes in their facility.  I have it on good authority that there are some psychotherapists who keep such notes but simply do not make it known, and frankly, there’s no reason they should.  As I understand the concept, such notes are virtually useless to anyone but the author.  However, I’ve decided that as a precaution we will include in our role-based training for the psych clinicians the requirement that if they do create such notes that they do so in a manner that is as “unidentifiable” as possible, maintain them securely, and destroy them as soon as practicable.

Cheri Huber

County Privacy Officer

County of Napa

1195 Third Street, Room 301