From: Mimi Hart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 10:44 AM
To: WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List
Subject: RE: *LAWYERS LIE IN WAIT FOR HIPAA REGS

I think that besides encryption, you need to also give your staff an
understanding of how they can de-identify to the point that an email would
not need to be encrypted.

For example, replying to a bill inquiry with "yes, insurance carrier has
paid 80% of the bill referenced" would probably not be high risk PHI, while
"yes, Blue Cross paid for the tonsillectomy procedure for Mr. Smith" would
be higher risk, and would probably need to be secured. MIMI

Mimi Hart Ó¿Õ*
Research Analyst, HIPAA
Iowa Health System
319-369-7767 (phone)
319-369-8365 (fax)
319-490-0637 (pager)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> "Rachel Foerster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 04/11/03 10:13AM >>>
Chris, actually, I can't, since I too agree with you that encryption is
necessary, and that those who try to rationalize their way out of it are
indeed treading on very thin ice. This wasn't my point in pointing out the
addressability aspect of encryption. Most likely the only email that might
not require encryption would be that which stays within the enterprise's
security internal network, but that of course, means that all due diligence
must be done to ensure the network's security.

Rachel