John,

        We are a consultancy that performs HIPAA audits and compliance
checks for our clients.  We have clients in CA and we have examined the
new regulations that apply in California.  Generally, we've made a
couple of recommendations in reference to your line of questioning.
These are just the recommendations that we make; some clients take them
and some do not!  Also, I am intentionally not referencing laptops...as
that is another line of discussion.

First, we take a hard line stance against anything that allows the
removal of PHI from the office.  As such we recommend that floppy
drives, CD-Rs, ZIPs, etc are all disabled, removed or locked.  I know
that is a massive political barrier to break through.  However with
networked PCs, there are many methods to share files without the use of
removable media.  Again, some organizations like the idea and others are
not so fond of it.

The reason we take such a hard line is that we find that managers and
others tend to work at home without official approval by simply bringing
documents home.  At one client the staff we were working with wanted to
verify this fact for upper management.  So, we created a little VB
program that did nothing more than create a word doc and give it a
special header and footer.  To make this as simple as I can, effectively
staff were told that this was a new report tool and needed to be used.
The VB program actually had a splash screen that said do not use out of
office.  When the person launched the tool, in the background it posted
to a URL that we were tracking.  In less than 48 hours we had hits from
the homes of employees.  (There are a lot of details I am leaving out
about our trial...but I'm not trying to do a case study!)

Second, approved work at home - The only circumstance under which we
promote any work at home scenario is through the use of a terminal
server arrangement.  As I'm sure you know that allows access to the
office without the actual transmittal of files.  We recommend disabling
access to local PC drives to keep all data on the server.  We also
recommend the connection is secured by IPsec or a VPN.

And last, we use modified policies in CA companies.  The procedures that
we have designed for reporting a security incident contain additional
steps to notify those that have been or may have been compromised.
Additionally, the security audit log review process contains steps to
notify those that have been or may have been compromised.

We take a pretty conservative approach to HIPAA and in case you can't
tell, we like to see most things locked down.   I understand well that
users don't like to get locked down, especially in cases where they have
had a lot of freedom.  But these recommendations are the same that we
make to all companies.  In California, the only thing we change is the
process for reporting a security breach.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Gary