http://www.cms.hhs.gov/hipaa/hipaa1/content/modcert3.asp    <----  more
info at this link

 The concept of creditable coverage is that individuals should be given
 credit for previous health coverage when moving from one employer group
 health plan to another, from an employer group health plan to an
 individual policy, or from certain kinds of individual coverage to an
 employer group health plan.

 Most health coverage is creditable coverage, including prior coverage
 under a group health plan (including a governmental or church plan),
 health coverage (either group or individual), Medicare, Medicaid, a
 military-sponsored health care program such as CHAMPUS, a program of the
 Indian Health Service, a State high risk pool, the Federal Employees
 Health Benefit Program, a public health plan, and a health benefit plan
 provided for Peace Corps members.

  What is a certificate of creditable coverage?
 The certificate of creditable coverage is intended to establish an
 individual's prior creditable coverage for purposes of reducing the extent
 to which a plan or issuer offering health coverage in the group market can
 apply a preexisting condition exclusion. The certificate of creditable
 coverage is a written document that reflects certain details about an
 individual's creditable health coverage.

Teri MacGill, CPA, CISSP, CIA, CISA
The Regence Group
Security Staff Consultant/Security Architect
(503) 553-1406

*** This email does not reflect the opinion of anyone other than the
author, and does not reflect the position of The Regence Group.  This
message is intended for the designated recipient only.  If you have
received this email by mistake, please discard or return to sender.   Do
not rely on the accuracy of this email without verification from the
sender.  ***

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                                  To:    "WEDI SNIP Security Workgroup
List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      09/11/2003 12:49 PM        cc:     "WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup
List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      Please respond to          Subject:      Terminology question

                      josmith

                      |-------------------|

                      | [ ] Secure E-mail |

                      |-------------------|

I'm sending this to all three lists as I don't
know which group may have the answer.  We recieved
a question from a client containing a reference
that I'm not familiar with.  The question was

 "Do you have the ability to suppress the HIPAA
  certificates of creditable coverage if requested"

I've yet to see any reference to a HIPAA certificate
of creditable coverage.  Can anyone help me with a
definition for this?

Thanks,

Joe Smith
(See attached file: josmith.vcf)The information transmitted is intended
only for the person or entity to
material.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any
attachments is strictly prohibited.   If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The
discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the
individual participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of the
WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an official
opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at
http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and
services.  They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal
disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-security as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same
as the address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe
form at http://subscribe.wedi.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely
for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly
prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended
to be a legally binding signature.

---
[...]

address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org