From: Paul Litwak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent
:
Wednesday, September 17, 2003 10:19 AM
To: WEDI SNIP Security Workgroup List
Subject: Re: HIPAA Security Official

I have a little different point of view.  I'm a lawyer.  Working with a CISSP, I've had the opportunity to do several combined privacy/security readiness assessments.  In a couple of cases involving large organizations (county government; university), we've recommended that the Security Officer be someone outside the IT department.  In both cases, the IT people were technically capable, and had a strong interest in safeguarding information.  But they didn't have the broad organizational perspective or authority needed to make decisions that required balancing of operational needs against security risks.  (For example, County Emergency Medical Service staff access to and transmittal of medical information from an ambulance.)  It was easier for the operating departments and for IT for a member of the senior management team to play the role of Security Officer, with the support of IT.  It also sent a message to employees to take security seriously.

Paul Litwak

Attorney & Counselor at Law

2832 S. Lynnhaven Rd.

Virginia Beach, VA 23452