Gary,
Thank your offer to guide me through this process.

First of all, WX-HWS is a port of weather34 template designed by Brian
Underdown. Brian has given his permission for his original work to maintained
in three versions, Meteobridge maintained by Lightmaster, Cumulus maintained by
Ken True and WeeWX by myself. The WeeWX version is closely aligned visually,
functionally and in performance to the Meteobridge version as I recognised that
WeeWX can do what MB can do (and much more). All three versions are under
active development.

My repository is at https://github.com/steepleian/WX-HWS . As you will see,
there are a lot of folders and files. Simplistically the CRT extension is used
to feed the live data and report generator to feed archive data for the weather
almanacs and weather charts. Forecast data is optionally captured either Dark
Sky or WU 5 day forecast.

What do I want to achieve? Although I have managed to streamline the manual
install somewhat, it still causes problems for some users. My ideal is a robust
install which includes all required extensions etc, insert the correct mods to
weewx.conf and run a settings process where users can add their api keys,
webcam and other hardware.

I have read the documentation and looked at several install.py files from the
very simple to the more complex. I think it will be wise to take baby steps
initially by creating an install just to place files. Once that is working, the
more complex functions can be added.

One more thing to add, I am not a Python coder although I can follow what a
piece of code doing and adapt it.

Many thanks,
Ian