On Monday, 23 March 2020 02:09:52 UTC+10, Lucas Heijst wrote:

> In my case I want to import a year of data!

Given WU's history of flakiness and given that your year of data will
require 350 odd WU API calls via the internet, I would not be doing this as
one big import; you are just asking for a failure. I would do a month at a
time starting at the oldest data and working through to the most recent. If
a given month fails to import for some reason, you should be able to
re-import the month without deleting any data (untested and I am relying on
memory here). Of course if you have reason to believe that corrupt data was
stored then you need delete that before re-importing.

> If during this import (which will take very long) something goes wrong,
> the program is aborted and no derived values will be calculated.
> When I start the batch all over from the beginning, tjhe raw records which
> are already in the database will be skipped (and not overwritten).
> The derived values also won't be calculated for those existing  records.
>
> If you look at the 4.0 Utilities Guide you will notice that the
wee_database utility now has a --calc-missing action. This allows users to
run the routine that calculates missing derived obs separately from
wee_import. Note that the calc-missing routine will only update fields that
are None or otherwise contain no data (hence the 'missing' in
calc-missing), if a field contains data calc-missing will not change it.

A beter approach would be to calculate the derived values per tranche
> (default: 250 records).
> Then when something goes wrong, we can start with the a new date (short
> after the latest catched record).

If you have a look at issue #443 <https://github.com/weewx/weewx/issues/443>
you will see that approach was considered but not possible due to some
architectural issues. Hence the approach that was adopted that made the
calc-missing routine separate to, but callable from wee_import. Undertaking
imports in smaller chunks (especially from WU) and being able to separately
call the calc-missing routine from wee_database help mitigate against
errors during imports.