From: weewx-development@googlegroups.com <weewx-development@googlegroups.com>
On Behalf Of Greg Troxel
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:55 AM
To: Vince Skahan <vinceska...@gmail.com>
Cc: weewx-development <weewx-development@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [weewx-development] Re: Somewhat OT - Split RTL_433 data

Vince Skahan <vinceska...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 4:35:41 PM UTC-7, cl...@n7qnm.net wrote:
>>
>> So – has anyone else run into this problem and maybe found an “elegant”
>> solution?  Or, perhaps not-so-elegant?   I suppose I could hack rtl_433 and
>> conditionally direct SOME of the traffic to “someplace else”; but
>> that seems kinda “brute force”.
>
> There have been lots of threads about the various weewx intake (and
> export) methods.  Folks tend to lean toward MQTT typically when
> integrating a bunch of differing things.

I was going to say the same thing.

MQTT is just a message bus.  But it is generally reliable, and pretty much
everything these days supports it.  Regardless of how you choose to store and
process data, it's a reasonable choice for getting data from generators to
processing systems.

In my case, I have a weewx setup and also Home Assistant.  I am running
mosquitto as the broker.

Weewx is running normally with a Davis station.  It also has the mqtt extension
and I publish archive records (every 5 minutes) to MQTT.  In my case I am not
using MQTTSubscribe, but if I had more sensors that I wanted weewx to process I
would do it that way.

I have a few sensors that post to mqtt, mainly built with ESP8266/NodeMCU.
These are for indoor temp/humidity, and voltage on an small off-grid
solar/battery system, and a few other monitoring type things.

I should set up the rtl_433 bridge as well, to pick up an Acurite 6045M
lightning detector.  Perhaps I'd put lightning into weewx.  (I'm still
experimenting with rtl_433 and don't yet have it "in production".)

In Home Assistant, I of course have mqtt configured, to read the indoor
sensors.  I'm not interested in years of trends -- this is mostly about
notifying me if things go out of bounds, and me knowing if the heat has been
running.  So I have not tried to put this data into e.g extraTemp1 in weewx,
but I could.  In addition I ingest basic weather data from what weewx posts,
for display and to enable automations.

I don't follow your notion that sending data multiple places as "brute force",
but if you mean hardcoding a switching plan into rtl_433 just for you being
icky, I see your point.  Using mqtt, and having various of your systems
subscribe as needed is a good solution.  If you are doing weewx and HA, I think
you'll find that you want to add one of them to HA that you didn't originally,
and it's easy to just add an mqtt sensor to the config.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-development/rmiftbtr20g.fsf%40s1.lexort.com.