On Thursday, 22 April 2021 at 2:34:11 pm UTC+10 Graham Eddy wrote:

> maybe i did add the PATH mod myself - setting up systems so often for so
> long that no doubt i do some things without thought…

Likewise - $HOME/bin is a standard setup on my systems - I do recall seeing
it by default on a new install somewhere, but not sure how common it is.

> /dev problem has not changed. easy using udev(7) - instructions on how to
> find your usb serial port, which is required for most weewx configs, should
> be prefaced by a demand to configure udev (a simple script should pick up
> 99% of cases). alternatively, there is usually a simple tool in linux that
> just requires lateral thinking - maybe tmpfiles.d(5) to adjust perms after
> boot (haven’t tried it on char device). my char files are owned by ‘weewx’
> using udev

udev rules are be good enough for ownership and mode on raw usb and on ones
that look like serial ports.

> /run/weewx/ needs to be read-write for ‘weewx' for pid files. i use
> tmpfiles.d(5)

The preferred method of run-file ownership is specifying it in the
unit-file - if you are using full systemd.

These again illustrate the problems of trying to maintain support with so
many underlying systems -  trying to explain to people who installed using
setup.py but  can't even tell you how their system is configured seems to
be doing things the hard way.