One other thought, have you considered adding the functions from air_conf.py
to your airQ driver file? Not that I had any wee_database like actions to
include, but when I wrote the GW1000 driver I added numerous actions
(mainly displaying GW100 config data) that could be selected when the
driver was run directly. So in the end the user could run the driver
directly and test the driver as normal, but they could also select various
other command line options to perform various other related functions. This
approach can bulk out your driver file but it has the advantage of putting
everything in one place with the user only needing to use one command (with
various command line options). If interested the relevant section of the
GW1000 driver can be found on Github here
<https://github.com/gjr80/weewx-gw1000/blob/master/bin/user/gw1000.py#L5673>
.

Gary