Thank you Susan, the voltage divider I understand.

Now I get into territory that I have not a clue about! I can manage English
(most of the time) and a little Greek (some of the time) but code comes in
at none of the time!!!

Can anyone help me here.

   - I need to record (at short intervals) if there is a voltage present
   via GPIO (the sun is casting a shadow).
   - at each archive interval I need to write the data to the database and
   reset the record to zero, then start over again.

I hope that there is some kind soul out there with the time, skill and
interest to help me. If I can get this sorted with a dummy sensor I will
buy the Instromet Sunshine Sensor and report back.

Measuring the hours of sunshine has been a 'bee in my bonnet' for a while
and I currently estimate this from solar radiation. The Instromat sensor
seems to be a much more precise tool. I would love to have this working and
compare it to my estimated method.

Thanks for reading this far.
Regards
Robin