After researching, I made the following changes - which now works:

Removed link that was made
Copy original rsyslog.d file and rename:
  sudo cp home/weewx/util/rsyslog.d/weewx.conf to
/home/weewx/util/rsyslog.d/10-weewx.conf
Create a new link for this renamed file:
  sudo ln -s /home/weewx/util/rsyslog.d/10-weewx.conf /etc/rsyslog.d
Restart server (maybe just restarting rsyslog.d may have worked too)

Apparently the rsyslog.d loads all configuration files in the directory in
alphabetical order.  So, the rsyslog.d weewx.conf needs to load before the
default .rsyslog.d conf file loads. On my Mint 18 distribution, the default
rsyslog.d .conf file is named 50-default.conf. Hence the need to make the
rsyslog.d file for weewx load first, by renaming it to 10-weewx.conf.

Should the wiki page be update incase others run into a similar issue with the
log being written in both syslog and weewx.log?