On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 1:46:03 AM UTC-4, gjr80 wrote:

>> Oh yes - somewhere in the instructions (or help, not sure which) - the
>> time in the --date command is in brackets.  I presume this is because the
>> time is optional - but why the brackets?  An option in syntax definitions
>> is (I thought) indicated by | whilst the inclusion of brackets implies the
>> time should be enclosed in brackets - which is wrong (I think).
>>

> It is the Utilities guide and the --help usage text. The hh:mm in a range
> is optional.  I will get some input from Tom and Matthew, can you have
> nested [ ], if not you end up with a very long line.

the current (explicit) form is:

[--date=YYYY/MM/DD|'YYYY/MM/DD hh:mm'|'YYYY/MM/DD (hh:mm)-YYYY/MM/DD (hh:mm)']

technically that should be:

[--date=(YYYY/mm/dd|'YYYY/mm/dd HH:MM'|'YYYY/mm|dd (HH:MM)-YYYY/mm/dd (HH:MM)')]

a more compact form would be:

[--date="YYYY/mm/dd[ HH:MM][-YYYY/mm/dd[ HH:MM]]"]

with the caveat that quotes are required only if the date string contains
any spaces.

note that month should be mm because minutes is MM