Hi Folks, me again in trouble!

I have worked through the wee_import procedure and imported 3 years of old
data successfully.  Many thanks for that excellent utility. I have been
able to make new graphs showing it.
I found some extreme rain data in year 2008/2009, which i remember was down
to over excited spiders in the rain gauge who i evicted, and removed said
data using TK's "cleaning up old 'bad' data recipe on the wiki.

When i came to drop the daily summaries however i get an error:

root@pikodi:/home/weewx/bin# ./wee_database weewx.conf --drop-daily
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./wee_database", line 15, in <module>
    import user.extensions      #@UnusedImport
  File "/home/weewx/bin/user/extensions.py", line 18, in <module>
    locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 579, in setlocale
    return _setlocale(category, locale)
locale.Error: unsupported locale setting

john@pikodi:/home/weewx/bin $ locale -a
C.UTF-8
en_GB.utf8
POSIX

john@pikodi:/home/weewx/bin $ echo $LANG
en_GB.UTF-8

What foolishness have i been up to this time, and how can i fix it?
Cheers
John