The documentation for $day.windSpeed.max is wrong. It should read:

    The max average wind speed. The wind is averaged over each of
    the archive intervals. Then the maximum of these values is taken.

It has been changed in commit 35ad31
<https://github.com/weewx/weewx/commit/35ad312b444038c7a0a05cebf9c5d05e3b8fdc56>
.

"dwhile", I am no longer sure what problem we are chasing. Is it:

   - You think there is a problem in the aggregation calculations in weewx;
   or
   - You're having troubles coming up with the right template to display
   those calculations.

I get the feeling you feel it's the first. If so, could you distill down
what you think the error is, without using your templates? It's very hard
to see through the thicket of your templates, with all its novel naming
conventions, and see what you're doing.

-tk