Andrew,

That is possible of course but I don't really think so.  My sensors are
mounted over grass on a wooden fence at an elevation of 7' AGL and sees
afternoon shade during the summer.  But it heats up pretty fast as soon as
the sun comes up and the temperature stays elevated until it's in the
shade.  I'm at an elevation of 1589 meters so there isn't too much
convection cooling by the surrounding air compared to a station at a much
lower elevation.  The inboard aspiration fan is working in sunlight. Take a
look at the installation and tell me what you think.  Temperatures now
during the winter seem more reasonable and match the neighboring
wx-stations.  I had it mounted at 10' above the roof and that was even
worse because of the radiated heat from the flat roof.  It got much better
when I moved it to the current location.

There is a picture of the installation here at:
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/AV175

Thanks,

Mike