On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 11:47:35 AM UTC-8, Andrew Milner wrote:

> That's a bit harsh Vince - many people use a webcam to supply weather
> images for use on their weewx generated webpages ..... and the webcam
> capture may have to co-exist with the  weewx weather station capture and
> subsequent data processing.  Certainly some time ago I found that my
> original RPi just could not cope with weewx and a high quality webcam -
> factors which I suspect are now different with the RPi3 being around.
> Alternatively it may be necessary to have the webcam capture take place
> from a different processor and just make the captured image be available to
> weewx.

Disagree, I made a point to reply to the original poster with two more
relevant sites with lots of data on what to buy (or not buy).

Hooking up a webcam to weewx depends on what you mean by that.  If you mean
embed a periodic snapshot in your templates, that's easy.  If you mean a
1080p realtime webcam feed, that's not something you likely want to do over
wifi on your network at all, regardless of what computer you run weewx on.
It would just eat up your wifi simply monitoring the feed (I know, I run a
wifi security cam at super low-res to a computer on my LAN that monitors
ala 'zoneminder' or 'motion' would on Linux, and simply doing the
monitoring chews the heck out of the wifi network).

You almost always want realtime feeds 'wired' over the network, or 'local'
via USB connected to the computer running the software monitoring the
camera.

But for snapshots, wifi works just fine.  Hit a url on the camera via cron
periodically.  No load on the runtime computer or network at all.