It's certainly possible to do, but only by writing a search list extension.

The reason is technical. A tag like $week.wind.gustdir actually uses the *daily
summaries*, a set of precompiled statistics, stored in some database
tables. One of the statistics is gustdir, the direction of the max wind
speed. Queries involving daily summaries must be on the day boundaries:
midnight-to-midnight, like $day, $week, $month, etc.

By contrast, because $span can be across an arbitrary time span, it uses
the *archive database*, a big flat table that stores the archive data. It
does not include gustdir --- instead, that must be calculated using an SQL
query.

The omission in the latter is purely because we haven't gotten around to
it. One could imagine something like $span.wind.gustdir, but it just hasn't
been implemented.

Sorry.

-tk