I was reconfiguring a rasberry pi 3 which was running an older version of weewx, wanted to update to the latest and greatest also, it was configured to run with a Davis and I wanted to change it to run with the Simulator, so I deleted the old version:

sudo apt-get remove weewx

which ran as normal

I then, in the /etc/weewx directory

rm weewx*

then

dave@w-bug:/etc/weewx $ sudo apt-get install weewx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  ftp python-dev
  weewx
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 18 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,197 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,944 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package weewx.
(Reading database ... 128152 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../archives/weewx_3.7.1-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking weewx (3.7.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u6) ...
Setting up weewx (3.7.1-1) ...
dave@w-bug:/etc/weewx $ ls
apache  import  logrotate.d  logwatch  rsyslog.d  skins  udev
dave@w-bug:/etc/weewx $ sudo find / -name "weewx.conf" -print
dave@w-bug:/etc/weewx $

I tried it a couple of times, but there is no weewx.conf in the /etc/weewx directory, nor anywhere else as reported by find. It also did not prompt me for a location, latitude/longitude, altitude, station type.

What have I done wrong?

Dave