I agree with you Tom - in 'normal' circumstances.  However 11-22 is a long
time (during which he was posting failures).  I am suspicious about both
the base rpi install (since he appears to use images rather than
installing) and maybe even his sd card - especially if he has networking
issues and/or the notorious rpi power problems underlying the problems.
The jump from 3.1 to 3.7 for weewx makes me also suspect that regular base
update/upgrades may not be being done as standard maintenance tasks
either.  Seeking to use images as backups makes me suspicious that if an
old 'image' is used to get things running - this old image is not then
updated, with an end result being that one is just not sure exactly what is
running.  Just my two pennyworth.  Back over to you and I'll try to keep my
nose out of this one - mainly because my Spanish is worse than my american!!