On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 9:49:26 AM UTC-7, Pat wrote:

> Debug mode is on: debug=1, and in syslog all I see is this:
>
> Jul  9 12:23:54 example systemd[1]: Starting LSB: weewx weather system...
> Jul  9 12:23:54 example systemd[1]: Started LSB: weewx weather system.
>
> No other log information in syslog. Is there another weewx log? Running
> this command didn't find a specific weewx log. sudo find / -name weewx
> -print | grep log

That particular find command wouldn't do it, but no there isn't a
weewx-specific log unless you did something special in your syslog config
file.   You should have a whole lot more than one line in /var/log/syslog
however, even if it blew up massively during initialization.

> Perhaps I need to restore my "dist" backup copy, and manually copy my
> weewx.conf settings over? I don't see how that would change much though.

I would generally lean that way.  FWIW,  a long time ago I took the time to
make my extensions and skins installable via the extension installer, so
for me a clean build is just doing weewx (setup.py or package, doesn't
matter) and then running the extension installer a few times to add the
skins and extensions.  No copying nor editing required.  Granted, that took
some time to cook up of course.

In this case, I'd start with vanilla weewx.  Change your setup to use
mysql, with no extensions.  Get the vanilla product to work with that
database, then gradually change things to put your customizations in one at
a time.

An interesting item: Initializing weewx version 3.6.2 - The latest version
> is 3.7.1.
>

> Performing a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade does not show an
> upgrade available for weewx 3.7.1

Hmmm, can't explain that one.  I did a clean install in vagrant and it got
3.7.1 as the latest.

> Should I try a manual install of the deb package?

I'd lean toward yes, so you get all the bug fixes etc.

I'm wondering if you forgot to get a root shell before doing 'apt-get
update' perhaps.   If you cd to /var/lib/apt/lists you'll see the listings
of the various repos you have configured.   Mine looks like:

ubuntu@ubuntu-xenial:/var/lib/apt/lists$ ls -lgd weewx*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root  2537 Mar 23 07:12 weewx.com_apt_dists_squeeze_InRelease
-rw-r--r-- 1 root 12583 Mar 23 07:12 weewx.com_apt_dists_squeeze_main_binary
-all_Packages

ubuntu@ubuntu-xenial:/var/lib/apt/lists$ sha1sum weewx*
e438785ed8f2d7bd8211145b3d160080f6b2656e  weewx.
com_apt_dists_squeeze_InRelease
db54ea29a4565aa811096a19ff46bc1564c9e8c2  weewx.
com_apt_dists_squeeze_main_binary-all_Packages

The top of the last file there should show a 3.7.1 version available if
your apt-get update worked ok.

You might also try a 'apt-get clean' to clean the cache before you 'apt-get
update' to rebuild it.