On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 7:11:55 PM UTC-4, Clay Jackson wrote:

> I'm having the same issue - and just caught the FLOAT vs INTEGER problem.
>   Don't understand the accumulator piece, shouldn't that be default?

the accumulator determines how values will be aggregated over time periods.
 for example, observations such as rain are treated differently than
observations such as temperature.

when you add a new field to the database, you typically have to specify a
few things:

- the database type, e.g., 'INTEGER'
- the unit group
- the accumulator behavior

right now each of these is done in a different place - the type is in the
schema as python code (typically user/schema.py or user/extensions.py), the
unit group is in python code (typically user/extensions.py), and the
accumulator behavior is in weewx configuration file.

it might make sense to put all these things together, for example
completely in the weewx configuration file.

however, such a system has not yet been designed.