But, when there is no wind, there is no "average direction."

You could calculate the average compass direction, but that would be
meaningless. For example, if you just dumbly average compass directions 10°
and 350° you get 180°, but what you probably want is zero.

Another option would be, if the wind speed is zero, take the "last" value
of wind direction during the archive period. The extractor for that would
look something like (NOT TESTED):

    def extract_wind(self, record, obs_type):
        """Extract wind values from myself, and put in a record."""
        # Wind records must be flattened into the separate categories:
        record['windSpeed']   = self[obs_type].avg
        record['windDir']     = self[obs_type].vec_dir if
self[obs_type].sum else self[obs_type].last[1]
        record['windGust']    = self[obs_type].max
        record['windGustDir'] = self[obs_type].max_dir

Tell us what you want mathematically, and maybe we can find an appropriate
extractor.

-tk