Well, this is embarrassing. Data is going in, and timestamp is appropriate:

SELECT dateTime, outTemp FROM archive ORDER BY dateTime DESC LIMIT 20;

1511253600|84.08

as.POSIXct(1511253600, origin = "1970-01-01")

[1] "2017-11-21 19:40:00 AEDT"

Repeated refresh of page from chrome, and restarts of chrome didn't change
the image in the web page. But using a different browser and viewing the
graph images manually showed that they're actually OK. Explicitly clearing
the image cache in chrome eventually did the trick.

I'll go and hide now...

Thanks for all the prompt help.