I stopped weewx and re-ran the command:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo wee_database /etc/weewx/weewx.conf --update

Using configuration file /etc/weewx/weewx.conf

Using database binding 'wx_binding', which is bound to database
'archive_sqlite'

The update process does not affect archive data, but does alter the
database.

Continue (y/n)? y

Preparing Interval Weighting Fix...

Daily summary tables are at version 2.0

Interval Weighting Fix is not required.

Preparing Maximum windSpeed Fix...

Updating 'windSpeed' daily summary: 87; Timestamp: 2017-12-03 (1512284400)

Maximum windSpeed Fix completed in 0.75 seconds

Thank you for pointing out that I forgot to stop weewx.