I did a bit of digging/googling/reading between the lines when I was putting
together an extension to produce a loop based gauge-data.txt for the
SteelSeries gauges and worked out the format of the windrose 'field'
(realtime.txt and gauge-data.txt use the same Cumulus windrose web tag). From
memory it is simply the sum of the wind speeds for each of the 16
cardinal/intercardinal/secondary intercardinal directions over a period of
time. A fairly straightforward sql query and a bit of processing of the query
results gives the required data. Units are irrelevant since all you are
concerned with is the relative values. My implementation is in def
calc_windrose() in rtgd.py
(https://github.com/gjr80/weewx-realtime_gauge-data/blob/master/bin/user/rtgd.py)

Don't see why a simple template could not be used for realmore.txt, there is
nothing complex about it and one of the linked docs says 'does not require an
update in realtime, just every few minutes' so a cheetah template would do fine.

CumulusWebTagsEngine and CumulusGenerator, maybe next months job, unless you
have one ready to go Matthew?

Gary