I used to have similar issue where on powerup sometimes it used to start at
1970 and at other times in Nov 3 2016. Googled and found few others also
reporting same issue. For now have modifed weewx to check if time is in
2018 before starting. Still got one issue few days back with time
corruption but it has become more infrequent now. I have a RTC ready
though, just dont have time to install it yet.