I've been testing using the rtl_433 to retrieve the temp from a water temp
sensor, and it all works fine when the station_type is set to SDR.

But I notice that when you install the rtl_sdr addon it changes the
station_type in weewx.conf to SDR.

My main station is a Davis VP2, and I would like to be able to integrate
that rtl_433 source into the existing setup and could not find out how to
manage that. The rtl_433 output doesn't appear to be read when the
station_type is Vantage.

With the station_type set to Vantage, my SDR section in weewx.conf looks
like this:

[SDR]
    # This section is for the software-defined radio driver.

    # The driver to use
    driver = user.sdr
        [[sensor_map]]
            extraTemp2 = temperature.1:149.AmbientF007THPacket
   cmd = rtl_433 -q -U -F json
   log_unknown_sensors = True
            log_unmapped_sensors = True