This is more a Linux question than a Weewx question, but it is necessary to
get Weewx working the way I want it to. This is a networking issue unlike
any I've dealt with, so I hope someone with greater knowledge will be
willing to share it.

My main router, a Netgear R7000, does not provide the sort of DNS
flexibility I need to route the bridge's calls to hubapi.myacurite.com to
the computer running Weewx. I could install dd-wrt firmware and get that
capability, but that would reduce the router's wireless range, so I'm
reluctant to do that.

My plan was to add a second ethernet port to the Weewx computer, and "share
the internet connection" through that port. I assumed that I could then add
this line to the hosts file on that computer:

127.0.0.1 hubapi.myacurite.com

and that would solve the problem. But it doesn't seem to work as expected.
I can plug a laptop into the shared port and browse the web, But requests
from the laptop are not filtered through the hosts file. I've also tried
setting up dnsmasq, but with the same result. Both the hosts file and
dnsmasq work as they should for requests from a browser on the same
computer, but not for the laptop plugged into the shared port.

(Just for what it's worth, I've tested this approach on my main desktop,
running Mint 17.3 (X86_64). The Weewx computer is running Debian Jessie (32
bit). I realize that a working solution on the Mint desktop may not
transfer perfectly to the Debian box, but it should at least get me in the
ballpark before I start messing with the Weewx machine.)

At this point, I'm completely stymied. I suspect there's something very
basic that I'm overlooking. I've been using Linux more than ten years now,
but I've learned it piecemeal, just picking up bits of information as
needed. That sometimes catches up with me, and my guess is that this is one
of those times. If anyone can help me get started on the right path, I'll
be grateful.